Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Beard Bares It All

American swimmer and multiple gold medalist Amanda Beard staged the first athlete protest of the Beijing Olympics. She unveiled her nude, anti-fur campaign poster for PETA on Wednesday morning at a function just outside the athletes' village.Apparently the launch was planned for a hotel conference room but officials locked it down, citing security concerns. Beard who has already posed for Playboy in the past is speaking out against cruelty of animals or more accurately the message of not wearing fur, but really it is all just semantics. With the games being held in China the possibility of more athletes speaking out on many social issues is very high. The fact that this was a little more risque will only enhance the weight that this message will have, especially with the star power of Ms. Beard. Although I may not share her or PETA’s ideals, that fact that she is putting herself out there for something she believes in, I can respect that.I am guessing that any other protests that will come in the coming weeks may not get quite the same response, honestly how could it?We all knew that China would have some difficulties with political issues from some athletes and many other protesters, I am just glad that this was peaceful and didn’t turn into an international incident.

We can all admit that she has come a long way from that 14 year old who brought her Teddy Bear to the pool with her in Atlanta in ‘96. (I think it is safe to assume that the Teddy Bears fur was synthetic, I would hate for her to be deemed a hypocrite)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting, very interesting. That is all I will say at this point.

Anonymous said...

All I know is that every Peta protest involves nudity of some type. It's old hat by now. Plus, you're seeing someone nude you had a chance to see nude before anyways, so there's really no shock value at all.

Anonymous said...

I think it's pretty ridiculous. I blogged about PETA today, too ...
Okay, it's great she's standing for something she believes in, but I'd rather see protests against genocide or something that matters more than animal fur.