Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fisher Dons Manning Jersey

The Tennessee Titans got it handed to them on Sunday versus the New England Patriots 59-0. The team sunk to a woeful 0-6 and it looked like the players just gave up on the game. Some people may blame the Patriots for running up the score but I don't believe that is even close to the case. The Pats and especially Tom Brady have been questioned on just how good they are and in Brady's case if he is not the player he used to be coming of the major knee injury he sustained in the first game last season so this was a perfect opportunity in the snow to show and tell everybody that they can still put up numbers if they want and offers a warning to opponents in the upcoming weeks. There is also the old adage - If you don't want me to run up the score, do something to stop me. You I am not going to take my foot off the pedal until you make me hit the brakes.

As for the Titans they have been a huge shock at just how bad they have been. On the lighter side of this is Coach Jeff Fisher. Fisher was to introduce Tony Dungy but before he did, he removed his jacket and dress shirt to reveal a blue Peyton Manning jersey underneath. Fisher stepped back up to the microphone and said, “I just wanted to feel like a winner,” drawing laughter and applause from the crowd of about 2,500. If I was a Titans fan I too may have found that a little bit of a slap in the face but come on, funny is funny and after a game like that you can't help but poke a little fun. It was all in good nature and was done as a clear joke and not as shot to the team or the organization. Some people are just a little too sensitive.

Fisher later apologised on his radio show saying "This is a very worthwhile and needy benefit and I was honored to be there. & I'm sorry if I offended anybody but if I had to do it again, I would do it again." He also said "I was introducing Tony, just having fun with it and I really apologize if I offended anybody, but if you're offended over the nature of that type of thing, then I think you need to rethink things."

I couldn't agree more sometimes political correctness goes to far. If it isn't offensive, mean spirited or racist/bias in any way the best thing to do is what the 2,500 people in attendance did - Laugh and Applaud I mean come on Funny is Funny

No comments: