Friday, October 23, 2009

The Keeper Pool

So I have entered into a Keeper Hockey Pool for the first time. I usually play a variety of Fantasy sports over the course of the year. I had a couple baseball Leagues, a NASCAR team, a Football team and a few different hockey teams and now a Keeper Pool. For those who are not aware this is where you select a team and that is now your team, you are the GM and keep the same team year in and year out.

Since this is the first year there was a 22 round live draft with the other 8 participants for a total of 9 teams to make up the rosters. Each team has 15 players from the original 22 man roster that will count toward the pool totals. The top 8 forwards, 5 defence and 2 goalies points are eligible. Each team also gets 5 draft picks per year that can be used as part of trades or selections at the beginning of the next year. At the end of the year you can only protect 15 players + 2 rookies. It makes it so that GM’s need to be decent at not only pro but amateur scouting.

This will prove interesting to see how it goes as there are a few people in the league that have been involved in leagues like this before or currently and have already worked on strategies that they believe will work to build a team. Will that be an advantage or will the fresh ideas play better or worse, time will tell.

I would like to introduce you now to YOUR Los Louis Blue Kings!! At Forward - Pavel Datsyuk, Jarome Iginla, Martin St. Louis, Simon Gagne, Brad Boyes, Martin Havlat, Johan Franzen, Phil Kessel, Brenden Morrow, Cody Hodgson, Jamie Langenbrunner, Ray Whitney, Shane Doan, and Kyle Turris.
On Defence - Shea Weber, Dan Boyle, Brent Burns, Marek Zidlicky, Jaroslav Spacek, Alex Pietrangelo
In Goal - Marc-Andre Fleury, Ilya Bryzgalov
I am not displeased with my team at this time, some of my players have stumbled out of the gates a bit but it is still early and hopefully they can turn it around soon. The loss of Franzen will hurt with him being out for at least 4-6 months. Where I think I will have problems is once I have a player I become very loyal and perhaps overvalue them and it may make it hard for me to agree to making deals. I also like the idea of pulling the trigger on a blockbuster so that will be the internal fight.

No comments: