Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Ottawa Busy On Deadline Day

The trade deadline has come and gone and the Ottawa Senators have achieved what they have tried to do since the team was granted a franchise...get a number 1 goalie...we hope. Pascal Leclaire and a 2nd round pick has been acquired for Antoine Vermette. Right now I see this as good deal, that being said I thought that the Gerber deal was good at the time so I am going to let some time pass before passing judgement. I like the idea for a french Canadian goalie with a Hockey Canada background. My only concern is that he was very good in Columbus and posted many shutouts, then got hurt....then Steve Mason came in and started posting shutouts. I just hope he is not just a beneficiary of being in a good system. Vermette always seems to have been on the block at the deadline and this year the shoe finally dropped. I like the fact that there was a draft pick involved as well which is always good.

The Filip Kuba 3 year contract extension came as a big surprise and I don’t think that that is a great deal. Seems like an awful lot to be giving a player of his ability, both in dollars and in term. $3.7M is ok but 3 years may be too long and I wonder how much money is left going forward. I was expecting that his signing was going to be part of another deal but apparently that is not the case. With a defence corps that is basically the same that is was with only the addition of Campoli I question. I saw that former Sen Tom Preissing was on waivers and would have probably taken him on as a waiver pickup and flipped Filip for youth or picks.

The fact that Ottawa didn’t deal Chris Neil was also a shocker. I was all for shipping him out and getting anything possible for him, even if it ended in a 6th round pick. I don’t think that he is as valuable as people think he is and perhaps the Senators have over valued him.

I was also a little surprised that Christoph Schubert or Jason Smith wern't on the move. There are a lot of bodies on the blue line but none that can be considered a number 1 or 2 offensive guy.

With what happened today it could make this years draft day a little more interesting, especially if Murray wants to change the culture a bit within the team. We will all keep an eye a see what happens.

No comments: