Saturday, September 12, 2009

Done Deal Heatley To San Jose!

So there you have it, the game is over, the dance is done and the fat lady has sung. After months of uncertainty, speculation, and wonder the Ottawa Senators have completed a trade that has sent Dany Heatley and a 5th round pick to the San Jose Sharks. In return the Senators get Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and a second round pick.


I can say that I have no idea at this point if I like this deal or not as far as the Senators go.Looks like in the end Bryan Murray was forced to cave and just give in. This may be the best deal that was available to avoid a distraction at camp but it looks like they didn’t win in this deal. They didn’t save any real money as Michalek earns $4,333,333 an Cheechoo $3,000,000. Just a 2 for 1 with a better pick next year.


Is this a better deal then Edmonton offered? (Andrew Cogliano, Dustin Penner, and Ladislav Smid.) Probably not, even though i didn’t much care for that one either but beggers can’t be choosers in a case like this I suppose. Maybe this frees Murray up to make some more deals as the season goes on, who knows, guess we will wait and see.

I still value Heatley very highly and he will remain my favorite player, regardless of the shennaniganz of the last 4 months. His presence in the San Jose lineup with the likes of Marleau, and Thornton amongst others will only help out the Sharks. They needed a shake up as they try to get over the hump and that is just what they get with Heater. For Ottawa, Cheechoo, who will likely play with Spezza does have a season where he managed to light up the net but that was 2005-2006 and is coming of of a jut dreadful season where he managed just 12 goals. Hopefully having a skilled center like Spezza setting him up he can get his trigger finger ready to fire. Milan Michalek is an interesting player and one with an upside. He had 23 goals 34 assists for 57 points. I have no idea where he will play, maybe along side Kovalev.

In a quote on his way out of town he said: ''I'm excited obviously, I'm excited to be a Shark,'' Heatley said. ''I want to thank everyone in Ottawa, the organization the fans, and the city. I had a great four years here (and) I'm happy to move on.'' Also Dany said ''I don't think I did anything wrong asking for a trade,'' - ''I have my reasons for it. If people think differently of me that's fine but I believe I did nothing wrong and I'm happy to move on.'' I know I am in the minority in Ottawa but I am going to wish him well, up until May he was a model citizen. He was great with fans, great in the community. He did take time to sign autographs and talk to people when approached. Like I said I never had a problem with him and he gave the team and the fans a hell of a 4 years and a trip to the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Sports may be a game of what have you done for me lately but lets not forget too fast what good he did while he was here.

I will undoubtedly have more to say on the Heatley and Senators in the near future so feel free to drop by and have a read later.

1 comment:

Eazy said...

I obviously hate the Senators, but I think this is a good deal for them. Like you said, the draft pick is better for starters. Mihalek is a pretty good player and Cheechoo is the wildcard. If he returns his game to where it was that year he led the league is goals, the Senators will have made out wonderfully. I was actually surprised Ottawa got this much back in return, but that's just my opinion.
PS: Michigan is winning currently. Boo.